The aim of this Internet & Technology Acceptable Usage Policy (ITAUP) is to ensure that pupils will benefit from learning opportunities offered by the International Secondary School Internet and technological resources in a safe and effective manner. Internet and technology use and access is considered a privilege. Therefore, if the school ITAUP is not adhered to, this privilege will be withdrawn and appropriate sanctions, as outlined in the ITAUP, will be imposed.
The school employs a number of strategies in order to maximize learning opportunities and reduce risks associated with the Internet and technology. These strategies are as follows:
- A teacher will always supervise Internet and technology usage.
- Filtering software and/or equivalent systems will be used in order to minimize the risk of exposure to inappropriate material.
- The school will regularly monitor pupils’ Internet and technology usage.
- Students and teachers will be provided with training in the area of Internet and technology safety.
- Uploading and downloading of non-approved software or materials will not be permitted.
- Virus protection software will be used and updated on a regular basis.
- The use of personal USB`s, SSD`s or other digital storage media in school requires a teacher’s permission.
- Students will treat others with respect at all times and will not undertake any actions that may bring the school into disrepute and may not collect any data or images related to a student or teacher of the school without express permission from that person.
- Teachers or administrators may request access to student devices, such as phones, tablets or computers if there is suspicion of a breach of the ITAUP, at any time.
World Wide Web
- Students will use the Internet for educational purposes only.
- Students will not intentionally visit Internet sites that contain obscene, illegal, hateful or otherwise objectionable materials.
- Students will not copy information into assignments. All Internet resources used in school projects will be properly cited.
- Students will never disclose or publicize personal information.
- Students will be aware that any usage, including distributing or receiving information, school-related or personal, may be monitored for unusual activity, security and/or network management reasons.
Email/ Messaging Services
- Students will use approved class email accounts under teacher supervision. Students will not send or receive any material that is illegal, obscene, defamatory or that is intended to annoy or intimidate another person.
- Students will not reveal their own or other people’s personal details, such as addresses or telephone numbers or pictures.
- Students will never arrange a face-to-face meeting with someone they only know through emails or the Internet.
- Students will note that sending and receiving email attachments is subject to permission from their teacher.
- Pupils will be given the opportunity to publish projects, artwork or school work on the World Wide Web in accordance with clear policies and approval processes regarding the content that can be loaded to the school’s website.
- The website will be regularly checked to ensure that there is no content that compromises the safety of pupils or staff.
- A teacher will coordinate the publication of student work.
- Personal pupil information, including home address and contact details, will be omitted from school web pages.
- The school website will avoid publishing the first name and last name of individuals in a photograph.
- The school will ensure that the image files are appropriately named – will not use pupils’ names in image file names or ALT tags if published on the web.
- Pupils will continue to own the copyright on any work published.
Mobile and Handheld Device Policy
This policy is to help facilitate student social relationships and enhance overall student mental and physical health.